We’re having a quiet night tonight for two reasons – we’re both extremely tired due to us having different (but equally terrifying) nightmares last night that kept us awake – mine (Paul) involved a nuclear war, his had something about an old woman. I weren’t really listening. There’s nowt more boring than listening to someone else’s dreams.
Tonight’s recipe is naturally incredibly butch. I know it looks like something that fell out my arse, but trust me – this is truly delicious and just perfect for a cold night. If you have kiddiwinks and want to give them this, feel free to go ahead – the booze will boil off, and anyway, there’s not much tipple in here anyway so even the weakest lightweight won’t even have an eyelid flutter. This is also perfect for all the fans of slow cookers out there, which judging from our inbox asking for recipes must include nearly every one of you!
to make beary beery barley beef stew you will need:
- 400g lean stewing beef, cubed – Musclefood have come through for us – you can get BUY ONE GET ONE FREE on their beef chunks (already cheap and no fat) by clicking here, entering the code TCCHUNKS at the checkout
- 1 onion (brown works best here but a red onion will still be okay)
- 500g mixed root vegetables of your choice (we used carrots, parnips and a turnip)
- ½ pint pale ale (we used Brew Dog’s Dead Pony Club, and very nice it was too) (about 4 syns)
- 100g pearl barley
- 750ml beef stock
- bouquet garni
to make beary beery barley beef stew you should:
- chop everything up into chunks – the root vegetables should be no bigger than the size of your thumb
- pour everything together into the slow cooker and heat on low for 8-10 hours
- that’s it!