Just a recipe post for oompa poompa one-pot tonight folks because your poor writer has hurt his arm – I say I, no, Paul decided that what I needed was for him to lie on my arm all night long. Paul’s a big guy and whilst I’ve got strong arms, it really bloody hurts. Don’t worry, I took the liberty of pulling out a couple of individual bum hairs of his to make up for the pain. Oh I’m a stinker. Plus, Bake-Off. I’ve got a nice article queued up for tomorrow so no need to shit the bed just yet.
I’m calling this oompa-poompa-one-pot because Christ almighty, you’ll be oompa-poomparing all night long. It involves sauerkraut, a sort of pickled cabbage, and although that might sound disgusting and you might shriek into your hands at the very thought, it actually adds a lovely note of flavour. Leave it out if you want – you’ll still be shouting ‘…HOLD ON MR BROWN, WE’RE SENDING HELP’ long into the night. This makes two big bowls of loveliness.
to make oompa poompa one-pot you will need:
- 6 sausages (the sausages in our Big Meaty Package are perfect!) (3 syns)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, slices and halved
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200g basmati rice
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 450g sauerkraut
to make oompa-poompa one-pot you should:
- heat a large casserole dish over a medium-high heat, spray in some oil (use this – it’s cheaper and better than Frylight!) and cook the sausages until done – then remove from the pan, leave to cool a bit and slice into discs)
- in the same pan, add a little more oil and then the onion, garlic and carrot and cook until softened
- add the salt, pepper and oregano to the pan and give it a stir
- next, add the stock, rice and chopped tomato to the pan and give another stir
- cover and cook over a low heat until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is cooked – about 10-12 minutes or so
- remove from the heat and stir in the sauerkraut, allowing it to heat through and bubble off some of the vinegar in it
- serve and enjoy immediately!
Looking for more recipes? We give you more, don’t worry: click the buttons!