Very quick post tonight, folks – one-pot pork and rice, just another one pot meal that we had left over! James is cooking so unusually, you’ve got the other Cub coming on your screen. Lucky!
I’m dead excited today because they’re putting up the Christmas decorations in our town – I mean, they look shite but it’s a sure sign that Christmas is on it’s way and it’s my favourite time of year! I love it all and there is literally no limit to how much Quality Street I can eat. Seriously, I try to warn people but they don’t listen and then bitch on when it’s just fudge left in the tub.
We’ve promised ourselves this year to put up some lights on the outside of our house (I know, the pinnacle of class) because it’s something I have ALWAYS wanted to do. And, because I know that the super-bright LEDs you can now buy with super-epilepsy mode is sure to piss off Nos. 1-5 on our street. Christmas is always a lovely affair here at The Sticky Patch, we never skimp on our trees and despite our complete lack of design skill we actually do a pretty good job of it. It’s certainly a step-up from what it was like when we were younger, with the cheapest possible tree from the Freemans catalogue sitting in the corner of the room doing a fantastic impression of an impending bonfire with its three sets of lights wired into the same plug. Mother would be eggwashing some frozen sausage rolls in the kitchen with a light dusting of fag ash and my sister and I would be sent away with an Argos catalogue and a strict limit – we had to write down exactly what we wanted, price, page number and catalogue number and a running sub-total. If it weren’t in that catalogue you couldn’t get it. Magical times.
What you can get, however, is this simple recipe for one-pot pork and rice. Serves four optimistically, two realistically. Listen, it looks like shite, I know, but it tastes good, I promise!
to make one-pot pork and rice you will need:
- 6 syn-free sausages (get your hands on our Big Meaty Package for the perfect sausages!)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 140g rice
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
to make one-pot pork and rice you should:
- squeeze the meat out the sausage casing so you get about 4 ‘balls’ from each sausage and roll into a perfect ball
- heat a large casserole dish over a medium-high heat, spray with oil (save your pans and get one of these) and brown the meatballs on all sides, then remove from the pan and set aside
- add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for a further five minutes, until softened
- add the cumin, coriander and rice to the pan and stir well
- pour in the vegetable stock and the chopped tomatoes and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan
- simmer for ten minutes until the rice is done
- gently stir the meatballs into the rice, and serve
if you’re looking for more tasty recipe ideas, just click the buttons below!