Baked eggs in spicy peppers and tomatoes you say? Yes. Indeed. And lo, because it’s a quick post tonight after yesterday’s trip to Copenhagen, you’re going to get the recipe almost right away! But listen, we can’t claim any sort of authorship for this recipe, it’s just a simple take on huevos rancheros or shakshouka, which is fun to say. However, it’s syn-free, full of veg and very good for you and frankly, if you’ve got a few peppers and tomatoes turning into old-man-ballsacks in the fridge, this is just the dish to use them up. I had an absolute glut of homegrown tomatoes to use up so here we are!
Sorry, wouldn’t normally put a third photo in, but I love the colours!
to make baked eggs in spicy peppers and tomatoes, you’ll need:
- a big handful of fat tomatoes
- one red pepper
- one red chilli
- one garlic clove
- one fresh egg
- one red onion
- one vegetable oxo cube
to make baked eggs in spicy peppers and tomatoes, you should:
- thinly slice your pepper and onion and sweat in a few sprays of oil
- mince your garlic (got one of these yet? no? treat yourself – you’ll wonder how you got by without it!) and add it in along with the thinly sliced red chilli
- roughly chop your tomatoes into small chunks and chuck that in
- simmer gently with a good pinch of salt
- I like to add the oxo cube crumbled in just to add a bit of taste, plus a tiny spoon of Marmite if you like, then allow everything to thicken nicely
- tip it into a shallow individual serving dish, crack an egg into the middle, cook in the oven for fifteen minutes or so until the egg is set
- enjoy with lots of black pepper
Want more breakfast or other ideas? Click the buttons and go!