Just a lunch idea tonight: roasted tomato, bacon and chorizo pasta. How many times do we end up buying something bog-awful for lunch just because we didn’t plan the night before or because we can’t face another day of choking down an asbestos-flavoured MugShitz? Make a batch of this and never look back! And look, no nonsense to read through to get straight to the recipe!
roasted tomato, bacon and chorizo pasta
Yield 4 lunches
Looking for a quick lunch? Have yourself a packet of crisps and a good cry, or, make this gorgeous little pasta salad - it'll keep well in the fridge and serve you well for a good couple of days. Don't be tempted to make this roasted tomato, bacon and chorizo pasta without the chorizo - the tiny crunchy bits of oily goodness is what makes this dish sing!
- 100g chorizo, diced (12 syns)
- 6 bacon medallions, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 300g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 130g reduced fat feta, crumbled (2x HeA)
- 500g pasta
- pop the tomatoes in a roasting dish and set away on a low heat, chopped in half, for about twenty minutes - you want them softened but not burst
- cook the pasta according to the instructions, scoop out a little of the water into a mug and keen aside, then drain
- meanwhile, spray a bit of oil into a large frying pan and place over a medium-high heat
- add the chorizo and bacon and fry until golden
- remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside
- add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook in the chorizo oil until translucent
- add the tomatoes to the pan and a couple of tablespoons of water
- cook until the tomatoes have softened and the sauce has reduced, add a bit more water if it starts to look a bit dry
- chuck in the chorizo and bacon to the pan and give another good stir
- add the pasta and stir again - use some of the water you collected earlier if needed to thin out the sauce
- serve into bowls, top with the crumbled feta and salt and pepper to taste
- sick of Fry Light stripping your pans? Use this instead!
- don't be afraid to use chorizo - it's what makes this one so tasty! Substituting it for something lower in syns will just dull the flavour. Syns are there to be used!
- mince the garlic in seconds with one of these! Don't fanny on with awkward garlic presses!
- you can use normal tomatoes in this if you prefer - just cut them up into cherry tomato-sized chunks
- don't like feta? Use any cheese you like - just remember to check the syns
- you can use any pasta you like - we used Gigli because it's pretty and cooks quickly
Courses lunch, pasta, salad
See? What’s not to like about a dinner like our roasted tomato, bacon and chorizo pasta? Easy, uses only a couple of syns and actually tastes of something other than the shite you pick up in the supermarket!
Want more ideas for lunch? Of course! Try one of these:
- orzo, mint and tomato salad
- chicken and chorizo jambalaya
- chicken and bacon pasta (syn free)
- rainbow bulgur wheat salad with bacon and feta (syn free)
- cheesy leek and bacon pasta bake (syn free)
- chicken, lemon and lentil one pot stew (syn free)
- absolutely perfect chilli (syn free)
- chicken, orzo and sunblush tomato risnotto (syn free)
- chopped chicken salad (syn free)
I made a half portion of this its fab definitely on my to make again list. I love your recipes and stories keep them coming please. X
This was beautiful 👌👌👌