Super quick post tonight of slow cooker cottage pie – Christmas party was last night and we’re both proper rough! Straight to it!
to make slow cooker cottage pie you will need:
- 700g lean minced beef (you get so much minced beef in our meaty-mix-up deal, you’ll not know what to do with yourself!)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 75g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 125ml beef stock
- 180g reduced fat cheddar cheese (4x HeA – this will serve more than 4!)
- 6 large potatoes
- 50ml skimmed milk (1 syn)
- 1 egg
I’m going to say this is syn free – if you want to syn the 0.25 syn of milk, then do. If you’re looking for a decent slow cooker, the one we use is reduced on Amazon right now, and pretty to look at!
to make slow cooker cottage pie you should:
- add the onion and mince into a hot pan and brown off
- add the carrots, tomatoes, garlic, peas, tomato puree, celery, worcestershire sauce, thyme and stock and stir to combine
- decant into the slow cooker and cook for as long as you like on low – a few hours is best to really meld the flavours
- four hours before you want to eat, cut the potatoes into large chunks (no need to peel) and cook in a large saucepan until tender.
- drain, add the milk and quickly crack in the egg – mash furiously so the egg mixes in well and doesn’t scramble (don’t use the egg if you’re pregnant – treat yourself to some butter instead)
- use a spatula or ladle to flatten the meat mixture in the slow cooker so it’s level
- gently spoon in the mashed potato and smooth off with a fork
- cover and cook on low for three hours
- about half an hour towards the end, sprinkle over the grated cheese
- cover with a tea towel so that it doesn’t touch the food but is taut across the top – this helps to absorb moisture
Want more ideas? Click the buttons below!