Avocado pesto pasta? Vegan friendly? What’s come over me? I feel like I’m one moustache-wax away from giving up my car, wearing altogether too much denim and living on millet. But I ought to explain: we received a lovely message from a vegan who loves our blog but struggles with the amount of meat. Listen, I hear you. We do have a good vegetarian section though and I encourage any veggies out there or indeed, anyone who doesn’t want to be straining on the toilet for twenty minutes at a pop, to have a look. Click the wee button!
Mind, normally I’d ignore requests for recipes because frankly, if I don’t enjoy eating it, it isn’t going on the blog. But I’m a sucker for a nice message as opposed to the usual how mani suns hon bollocks we tend to attract, so here we are. Just to complete the smug middle-class pretentiousness of it all, I found the recipe in the Guardian section. Whilst lounging in bed late on a Sunday morning, because I don’t have children pawing at me with dirty hands. I know, what a dreamboat!
Let’s do the recipe then – though first, please do take a moment to wish Paul a happy birthday. He’s a love!
Now this avocado pesto pasta is made without parmesan (good lord) and with avocado, which is, if you’re unfamiliar with Slimming World, THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD. It’s 14 syns for a whole avocado. Don’t worry though folks, a Kitkat Chunky is less syns, though doesn’t taste as good in guacamole. So here’s the thing: you can choose to syn it (and if you’re following Slimming World to the letter, you should) or you can accept that an avocado is a source of good fats, incredibly healthy for you and full of taste and flavour. Up to you…
to make avocado pesto pasta, you’ll need:
- 400g pasta
- ¼ avocado
- 300g fine beans (sometimes called ‘French’ beans – buy the already-trimmed ones to save you faffing on)
- 75g basil leaves
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
Random link, but don’t forget we have three books out! Take us with you wherever you like!
to make avocado pesto pasta you should:
- trim the ends off the beans if you need to
- cook the pasta according to the instructions
- meanwhile, bring another pan of water to the boil and cook the beans for 7-8 minutes with the lid on
- add the broccoli to the pan and cook for another 3-4 minutes, then drain and set aside
- next, plop the avocado, basil, garlic, lemon juice and salt into a food processor with about 60ml of water and blitz until smooth. you can add 1tbsp water at a time if you need to
- drain the pasta and keep aside a mugful of the water
- combine the pasta with the vegetables, the pesto and as much of the cooking water as you need (stir a little bit in at a time to make it creamy to your liking, you won’t need the whole lot)
Easy! Proper easy!