Meatball masala! Why not? Plus, because we’re all about quick and punchy these days, the recipe is just below! But first…
I’m actually feeling particularly cross after having an argument with an idiot on Facebook about aspartame. We can all take a view on it, that’s fine, but she was adamant that she ‘never ingests any sort of chemical, only pure and natural’. I pointed out that water is a chemical and she got in a right old strop, pointing out that because she gets a headache from aspartame, it clearly means that it’s poison, not just that she’s sensitive to it. I cautiously mentioned that just because I’m allergic to pineapple doesn’t make the Man from Del fucking Monte a bioterrorist.
We agreed to disagree and so here I am, brain leaking from my ears. The problem is people get themselves so wound up in their misguided belief in some shitty product that they can’t possibly see reason or logic or common sense. There’s a post going around with some insoles for shoes that people ‘swear’ drain the fat out of your body as you wear them. How, at the end of a busy day, do they not take off their shoes, realise that these plastic insoles don’t look like buttered toast and then realise it’s a load of bloody twaddle? Where do they think the fat goes – decanted out of their shoelaces like a tiny petrol pump? There’s no helping some people. I genuinely think if I set up a facebook profile selling jars of ‘slimming air’ that has ‘been PROVEN BY SCIENCE’ to ‘help shift those pounds’ I’d get at least five people trying to sell it to me.
Anyway, enough chitter-chatter. Let’s get this meal done. Now this dinner doesn’t look amazing, and trust me when I say you could easily bulk it out with more veg and other nonsense, but it tastes mighty fine and served with decent rice, you’ll be cooking on gas.
to make meatball masala you will need:
- 400g beef mince
- 1 egg
- pinch of chilli powder
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
Our hampers have meatballs in – but actually, here’s a switch: you can now choose what you want to go in your hamper – so if you’re not a fan of pork, say (unlike me), hoy some more chicken in there. Up to you. To help you, we’ve updated our Musclefood page so it has all of the syn values on there – click here for that – it’ll open in a new window.
to make meatball masala you should: –
- in a bowl, mix together the beef mince, egg and chilli powder and form into twelve meatballs, then leave in the fridge to firm up
- heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, spray in a bit of oil (don’t ruin your pans with Frylight, get one of these instead) and add the sliced onions
- cook the onions for about ten minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and golden
- add the garlic, cumin, garam masala and turmeric
- stir well, and cook for about a minute
- add the carrot, celery and red pepper to the pan along with the tin of tomatoes
- fill the tin with water, slosh about and pour into the pan
- bring to the boil, cover, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes
- meanwhile, heat another pan over a medium-high heat and spray with oil
- add the meatballs, stir frequently until they are completely cooked through (or, even better, use an Actifry and take out the paddle – it works perfectly)
- when the masala sauce has finished cooking, use a stick blender (or an upright one if you have one) and blend until smooth
add the meatballs to the sauce and serve
Easy peasy! Warning, you might get a hot ring! More ideas?