Salt and pepper chips! I’m amazed that we have never posted this as a recipe, but here we are. Now, here’s some sad news: James is poorly. Not poorly with man-flu or feeling a bit dicky (story of his life) but full on snot pouring from every orifice, voice like Madge Bishop shouting down an telephone line and a face the colour of the dead. The long dead. I’m having to type and listen to his gasping and wailing and snotting and it’s really quite something – it sounds like he’s suffocating animals in the bedroom. To be clear: he isn’t, just before anyone phones the RSPCA, though fat lot of good they ever do. To his credit, although he does like to moan on that he’s dying every time he cuts his toenails a bit too short, he’s rarely actually ill, so to see him sweating and dripping like he’s mid-exorcism is quite something. I must tend to him, so let’s get the recipe done!
This makes enough for a big portion to serve four people!
to make salt and pepper chips you will need:
- 1 kg potatoes, cut into chips
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp sugar (1 syn)
- 1 red and 1 green chilli pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp five spice
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
There’s a couple of recipes out there which call for you to add MSG. Why? Totally unnecessary – you don’t need to add a ‘flavour-booster’ to your dinner if you cook with proper ingredients. Don’t be suckered into buying ingredients you don’t need just to make a few quid of commission for other blogs.
top tips for making salt and pepper chips:
- an airfryer will make this one so much easier – if you haven’t got one yet check out our special review page to help you pick the right one for you
- for nice, even chips try getting a chipper!
- don’t be tempted to skip the sugar in this one – it’s definitely worth it
- this one is a taste explosion even though it’s so simple – there’s no MSG! if you prefer it less spicy you can leave out the chilli flakes
- get your chips nice and golden with a decent oil sprayer – we use this one
- if you’re after the crinkle cut look, use one of these bad-boys
to make salt and pepper chips you should:
- cook the chips – if you’re using an Airfryer this is easy – just spray over a bit of oil and turn the machine on!
- don’t forget to add the worcestershire sauce when you make your chips
- if you’re cooking in the oven, spray with a bit of oil and bake for 30 minutes on 240°c
- meanwhile, slice the chilli peppers and dice the onions
- spray a large frying pan with a little oil and place over a medium0high heat
- add the chilli peppers and onions to the pan and fry until the onion is a golden colour
- add the salt, five-spice, chilli flakes and sugar to the pan and give a good stir
- add the cooked chips to the frying pan and stir to coat well
We’ve done some amazing chips recipes over the years – have a look!
- perfect slimming world chips (0 – 1.5 syns)
- baked cheesy courgette chips (1 syn)
- loaded potato wedges (syn free)
- spicy salty sweet potato fries (2.5 syns)
- cheesy bacon burger fries (0.5 syns)