Sausage rolls indeed!
Because putting a bit of mince in a wrap does not equal sausage rolls. Honestly, we weren’t going to bother with a sausage rolls recipe but having seen people passing off wraps stuffed with mince as sausage rolls, we felt we had to. Remember, Slimming World is about eating proper food, not pretend food, using your syns to eat something someone on a diet would eat, as opposed to pretend fake-food. The proof, as they say, is almost certainly in the pudding.
Although that pudding will probably be a smear of cinnamon and a photocopy of a chocolate bar wrapped in a Weight Watchers wrap and called a cinnamon swirl. Maybe on other sites.
Anyway, a quick word before we get to that recipe. Keen observers may have noticed that our recipe / blog output has slowed down a bit the last few weeks. There’s a reason for that but alas, I can’t go into it! We are trying to balance it back out, but at the moment we’re working during the day, coming home and going out to work on something else. But the end is in sight, and we have some cracking recipes coming up. So do bear with us, please! Remember, if you need inspiration, we have:
- a facebook page where we post six themed recipes a day
- a facebook group which is full of support and laughs and more importantly, syns requests and all that shite is banned
- an Instagram account
- a Twitter page
- 600 (almost) recipes in one place right here!
So there’s always something to read! Right, shall we do sausage rolls?
proper sausage rolls and a veggie version
Yield 16 sausage rolls
The recipe for the sausage rolls isn't much of a recipe at all, so we thought we'd bulk it out by including a veggie alternative that isn't just using vegetarian sausages, although you can do so. The veggie version is called pea pastizzi and comes from Sabrina Ghayour's FEASTS book that we keep banging on about!
to make the meaty sausage rolls (makes ten)
- 100g ready rolled light puff pastry (20 syns)
- whatever six sausages you like - we use syn-free sausages from Musclefood, but you can use anything here
- one red onion chopped
- a pinch of garlic
- an egg
to make the veggie pea alternatives (makes ten):
- 100g ready rolled light puff pastry (20 syns)
- two large fat garlic cloves
- one large onion, chopped fine
- 300g tin of marrowfat peas
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
for the meaty sausage rolls:
- preheat the oven to 200°c
- squeeze the sausagemeat from the sausages and fry in the pan with the finely chopped onion and garlic - the little bit of fat will soften the onions, so no need to add oil
- add a good twist of pepper
- take your puff pastry, roll it out - I prefer to actually roll it out a little thinner than it usually is, but you know, up to you
- cut into ten squares
- spoon the cooked sausage meat into each square and fold over the sides into a nice roll shape
- wash with beaten egg and into the oven they go for 20 minutes or so to cook nicely
- if you want, cut them in half again when cooked for 1-syn taster night sausage rolls
Easy! Do you see what I mean though - it's an easy recipe! Cook off the sausagemeat, add into puff pastry and cook.
for the veggie pea alternatives:
- soften the onions by cooking them off in a little oil, adding the garlic as they get nice and golden
- add the peas, curry powder, pinch of pepper and a good dash of dalt
- allow everything to cook for about five minutes and soften and mash gently
- do as you did above - roll out your pastry, spoon in your mixture, fashion into rolls, egg-wash the top and whack them in the oven for twenty minutes or so
- as you have no doubt noticed, FEASTS is my favourite book at the moment - every last thing we've cooked from there has been a delight - you can pick it up cheap on Amazon
- always mince your garlic - save your stinky fingers by using one of these!
- plenty of sausages in our Musclefood deals!
Courses taster night, samples, picnic
Looking for more taster night ideas?
- creamy parsnip and apple soup (0.5 syns)
- perfect slimming world chips (0 – 1.5 syns)
- bacon cheeseburger bites (half a syn)
- mini meat volcanoes with exploding cheese (half a syn for three)
- slimming world sandwich fillings (1 syn or less)
- baked cheesy courgette chips (1 syn)
- Gregg’s style festive chicken bake (1.5 syns)
- peppermint meringues (half a syn each)
- gin and tonic lollies (0.5 syns)
- gazpacho (1.5 syns)
- greek garden omelette (1 syn)
- super scrambled eggs with ham and sausage (1 syn)
- stuffed greek wraps (less than half a syn)
Just stumbled across your blog. I love cooking and I’m now on my third week of SW and losing slowly…
You guys have made me giggle today so thank you. Can’t wait to try some of you recipes.
Lisa (fellow North Easterner)
How big are these supposed to be? I’ve tried making then today, rolled the pastry as thin as it could stand and divided into 10 as directed and they’re about the size of a 2p and can fit less than a teaspoon of sausage filling in. What am I doing wrong?