Halloumi burgers! Yes, we’re doing a vegetarian classic for our BBQ run. It’s surprisingly difficult to come up with anything particularly exciting when you’re not a vegetarian because well, we’re wedded to meat, but this is a great attempt. To give you an indication as to how good this actually was, we had it on Friday night and Sunday night in two seperate BBQs. Now the rumour that we only had the second BBQ to annoy the neighbour who sat by her window coughing and spluttering whilst we had the first is entirely false. I don’t know what her problem is, actually, she has a tank of oxygen connected to her nose anyway – how much bloody fresh air does she need? Honestly, some people just think of themselves.
Anyway, let’s make this quick. I’m sure the end of the world is due – coming home I happened across three things that never, ever happen and it must mean something:
- someone smiled back at me – I try and smile nicely at people if they’re walking towards me. Not in a loony sort of way, but rather a ‘It’s OK, all my sexual advances are predicated by hours and hours of tortuous flirting, there will be no unexpected activity from me, so you can walk by safely’. I’m aware of my build and dazzling street presence and I fret enormously that as I clump towards a young female on a deserted path she might think I’m up to dickens. So I smile, and normally, people ignore me. However, today, someone – a handsome, stacked tradesman, no less – not only met my smile but gave me a good, cheery ‘afternoon’ as he slipped past and out of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I was hoping he’d tumble me into the hedges and make me feel like a natural woman, but no. Progress though!
- then, as I was driving home, an Audi not only waited at a junction as I approached, but let me out with a cheery wave and an affectionate blink of his lights. I was so surprised I almost mounted the kerb and committed an atrocity. See I’m used to Audi drivers driving so far up my arse that it triggers my automatic ‘how long have we got until your wife is back mate’ conversation gambit, so one who was courteous and kind really knocked me for six; and
- I came home to find Paul has managed to bring the bin in – I know! I had to sit down on the path with my smelling salts until the blood drained back into my face. Ten years we’ve been together and 9 years, 11 months and 3 weeks he has spent walking past the very same bin on bin day that he parks RIGHT BESIDE and then has to move out of the way just to walk up our path. It causes an fair frisson of tension between us on a Monday when I return only to find he’s seemingly missed the 140 litre bright blue beast that’s propped up against his Smart car. I asked him what triggered such a dramatic volte-face and his response was that he didn’t want to listen to me whingeing about it. See, he takes with one hand and gives with the other. That’s why I love him.
Must get on. End of the world to prep for. Let’s do the Slimming World halloumi burgers, eh? I mean, just look…
Dunno about you, but I’m at full-mast right now.
Slimming World halloumi burgers with sweet chilli drizzle
Yield 4 burgers
A burger perfect for all of those who don't like their burgers salted with the tears of crying animals. Understandable. Unlike most veggie burgers, we haven't tried to make a burger from nothing, so instead use cheese - and blacken it so it tastes even better.
You can omit the sauce if you prefer, but it brings it all together. Feel free to buy a shop version if you're lazy. If you do, check the syns!
- 180g reduced fat halloumi (4x HeA)
- 4x wholemeal buns (4x HeB)
- rocket leaves
for the sweet chilli drizzle
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey (2.5 syns)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar with Stevia (3 syns)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha (1 syn)
- add all the sweet chilli drizzle ingredients into a bowl along with 2 tbsp water and give a good stir
- microwave for 1 minute, stirring halfway, and then leave to cool and thicken
- meanwhile, cut the halloumi into 4 equal size slices - nice and thick
- place the halloumi onto the barbecue and cook for 2-3 minutes each side
- slice the rolls and add a spoon of coleslaw and a few rocket leaves
- top with the halloumi slices and drizzle over the sauce
Looking for a coleslaw recipe? Remember we made an amazing one syn proper coleslaw just a few entries ago?
- you can cook the halloumi in a hot frying pan if you prefer (or if you can't be arsed to get the barbecue going) - just cook for 3-4 minutes each side
- a good sweet chilli sauce is worth the syns which is why we always make our own - but any sweet chilli sauce from the shops will do if you don't want to make it
- if you really want a 'put the ceftriaxone on ice, Doc' experience, slather it in Crucials sauce, which I'm told is sold in places like B&M or, better because you don't have to look at so many sweetcorn teeth, you can buy it on Amazon!
Courses burger, BBQ
Well burger me, what a beauty! Want more burger ideas? Natch:
- larb burger (syn free)
- grilled harissa chicken summer burgers (0-3 syns)
- chicken cordon bleu burgers (0.5 syns)
- the beast burger (5 syns)
- the DILF burger (syn free)
- reuben burger (syn free)
- goat cheese beefburger (syn free)
That’s enough to fill even your holes.
Can I come and live with you please? I make the same meals over and over and everything tastes like tinned tomatoes with curry powder! :o(
I so wish I lived near u as I would happily pay u 2cook 4me as I’m single & disabled so dont bother so crisps, cheese, choccy and lolly pops r mydiet but good on u2 as I saw u on Davina show! 😁